Mutual Exchange

This scheme offers a way for households to swap their homes and move either to the same size home.  It offers an easier and quicker way for council tenants to move and swaps can occur anywhere in the UK and can happen between two or more tenants.

Swaps can happen between council tenants and housing association tenants provided that they are not introductory tenants, but in all cases the landlord will need to give approval.

To find out what homes are available or if you are looking for a swap partner, you will need to register with Homeswapper. This is the largest database in the UK for tenants actively seeking to swap their homes.

It is useful to have plenty of good photos of your home, plus a good description and also to list local amenities in order to attract potential swap partners. In addition to this, the more flexible you are about areas and types of properties the easier it will be to find someone to exchange with.

Housing Moves